Sunday, June 3, 2018

Media Project -- Joe with Transverse Myelitis



For my media project, I was assigned a brown paper grocery bag for Joe, a client with Transverse Myelitis. I initially had many ideas on products Joe could make and interventions he could with the grocery bag, however, I quickly realized that grocery bags are not as durable as I wanted to believe. After this, I had “OT’s block.” I could not come up with any ideas to target the weakness and loss of sensation in his legs. Eventually, the light bulb appeared above my head. This was my “ah-ha” moment. I realized that my product did not have to target Joe’s legs. It could help him do the activities he enjoys or the occupations he does on a regular basis more independently. That realization triggered the idea of creating a basket to hold his grooming products because he is unable to stand up to gather the items he needs.
Before this assignment, I had never heard of Transverse Myelitis. This project gave me the opportunity to learn about this disorder. Transverse Myelitis causes weakness and loss of sensation in the legs or arms, as well as difficulty with bowel and bladder function, all of which Joe struggled with. However, Joe was still able to go about parts of his day independently. This is where I felt the most challenged. I needed to provide an intervention or adaptive equipment for a client who is not fully dependent, but not fully independent. This is not an uncommon situation for a client to be in, so I took full advantage of challenging myself to find the perfect fit for Joe.
In the future when I am working with clients who are in situations similar to Joe’s, I will encourage myself to think about my class sessions and what principles I can take from class and apply to the situation. In Joe’s case, I emphasized on the second “P” of the 4 P’s—planning. By placing his grooming items in a more efficient point of access, he is now able to do one more activity independently. Although it is just one activity in my eyes, I imagine that every ounce of independence means the world to clients who have learned what it is like to lose the ability to groom, shower, or dress independently.

Top: "Challenges and Barriers: Requires set up for grooming, no adaptive equipment, legs cannot bear weight to stand"
Bottom: "Goal: Joe will set up and groom himself using the Grocery Bag Grooming Basket 5/7 times a week in the next two weeks to become more independent in his daily routine."

Bottom: "The Grocery Bag Grooming Basket will allow Joe to be more independent by organizing his grooming products in a compact way to have the readily available for use."


Top left: "Studied Business at University of Neurological Aspects
 Lives in Large City, TN
In a relationship with Joelene
Born January 26, 1996 (Age 22)"
Middle Left: "Likes: Hockey, New Movies, Eating with Joelene, Basketball"
Bottom Left: "Principles of Energy Conservation: Prioritizing, PLANNING, Pacing, Positioning
By utilizing the Principles of Energy Conservation, we were able to create a point of access for Joe's grooming items."

Top Right: "Joe shared a photo. I spoke and she listened! This is the 'grooming basket' I made in my OT session today so that Joelene doesn't have to get my things together every morning!" 
Second Status on Right: "Excited to start rehabilitation today... well mainly OT. Ready to be able to get myself ready in the mornings again!" 
Third Status on Right: "My legs are feeling oddly weak and numb... the doctor thinks it is Transverse Myelitis."
Bottom Status on Right: "Ready to go see Incredibles 2 with Joelene!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mock Interview Reflection

Overall, I feel that my interview went well and smooth. I would give it an 8/10. After watching my video, I th...