Thursday, September 12, 2019

Mock Interview Reflection



Overall, I feel that my interview went well and smooth. I would give it an 8/10. After watching my video, I think my posture and tone were appropriate, as were my responses. To prepare for the interview, I utilized the interview resources on BlackBoard and reviewed possible questions. Rather than typing out my proposed word-for-word answer, I only created bullet points to enable me to expand on the topic without sounding rehearsed. I also had a peer ask me a few questions prior to the interview and had her provide feedback based on my answers.
I surprised myself during this interview. I have never been completely comfortable “tooting my own horn,” but I realized that if I want to work in a facility that I really desire to be in, I have to advocate for myself and express how I am valuable for that facility. I was afraid prior to my interview that I would down-play my abilities and strengths, but while talking to Dr. Hughes, I realized that I am not just making up these strengths. I am valuable and I do have great skills to contribute to facilities. I deserve to have my abilities recognized and I know that I can do that when I have a position as an OT, but until then, I have to use my voice to do so. After watching my video, I feel that I was able to clearly communicate my points without crossing the line of boasting about myself. I feel successful in and of that itself because I am definitely a victim of imposter syndrome in these situations.
Something I really want to work to improve in the future is my comfort talking about salary. I had that topic on my mind prior to my interview and thought I had worked up the courage to bring it up, but I ended up avoiding it. I think I did this largely because I feel that I should maybe talk to other OTs or healthcare personnel about how to approach and address this topic in an interview. I also want to ensure that I am not basing my position strictly off of pay, I want to know what benefits and such are offered through the facility. Unfortunately, I also need to gain a better understanding of those benefits in order for me to judge what is appropriate and not necessary when deciding on a salary after considering those factors.
         Something that will be helpful that I learned through this process is that I am prepared, although I often don’t feel this way. Once I had the opportunity to describe my qualities, I realized that I need to learn to embrace those qualities because that will not only contribute to my confidence, but possibly my future employers’ and clients’ trust. A confident practitioner is essential when being an OT. I also want to have the ability to empower others and help them to feel just as confident, but I couldn’t do that without being personally confident first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mock Interview Reflection

Overall, I feel that my interview went well and smooth. I would give it an 8/10. After watching my video, I th...