Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Uncertainty in Observation

I observed in a skilled nursing facility for two months. I had a drastically different idea of OT then as compared to now. Every client that came into the therapy gym did the arm bike for fifteen minutes, then would have a weighted bar and the OT would have them do rows, curls, and other exercises just with that arm bar. We would then use the graded pinch exerciser occasionally. For the most part, that was everyone's routine in their OT session. I assumed this was normal. I now see that maybe those sessions should have been more personalized for each client and their situation. The only "personalized" session I observed was doing puzzles with a client because that was her biggest hobby. I am sure the OT did not intentionally avoid doing separate activities for each client, but I do feel that other activities could have been utilized. Maybe there were not enough resources available to do such personalized sessions. I can now also see why some clients dreaded OT-- because they had to do the exact same thing everyone else was doing every single session. In my future as an OT, I will keep this in the back of my mind. I have learned that finding occupations that clients hold valuable will motivate them for therapy, and I will strive to work on those individual occupational with each client I encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mock Interview Reflection

Overall, I feel that my interview went well and smooth. I would give it an 8/10. After watching my video, I th...