Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Take Away from Session 22

        Today in class, I came to the realization of how large of an impact education has on your health. When Professor Flick asked, "why would education impact your health?" I had a general thought that if you do not attend school, you will not learn about health and how to be healthy. However, as the class discussed this topic further, I broadened my thoughts and thought about continuing education. If a person does not attend college, they are limited to certain jobs and careers in the future. These jobs may not offer benefits and may not have adequate pay for someone to go see a healthcare professional, which then impacts their health largely.
        Additionally, I was introduced to occupational apartheid, which is deprivation of occupations due to one's social, political, or economical factors. Occupational justice is a huge part of OT and occupational apartheid prevents just that. Every person should have the right and resources to whatever occupations they find personally meaningful. As a future OT, we should aim to provide occupational justice and identify and reduce, eliminate, or overcome any barriers that prevent clients from engaging any occupations that they find interest in. We should adapt our services to ensure that we can provide as many opportunities for engagement in occupations for our clients as possible,  regardless of their social or economical status.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mock Interview Reflection

Overall, I feel that my interview went well and smooth. I would give it an 8/10. After watching my video, I th...